Monday 30 September 2013

Penetration Test results (interpreting results) Open-Filtered Ports


Penetration Test results (interpreting results) Open-Filtered Ports

 

Recently we had a penetration test done. I am not going to mention company names here, I’ll write just about the results.

 

I asked them to check out Public IPs and all services which face the Internet, I also asked them to check our WIFI and finally our internal office Windows domain.

 

I knew there were many problems and potentially many holes. I have inherited this network and I don’t think things were set with security in mind. But something also important to note is; if the any company is not willing to participate and embrace security there is very little which can be done, directories and all managers at the top need to accept security as an important step. Security is not for preventing anyone from working, but to give companies a degree of digital/online stability. Knowing where the holes are surely is better than not knowing; at least you won’t be caught by surprises.

 

The test took around three days and literally the only information I provided was the public IP addresses.

 

Port 445 Open-Filtered

One thing in specific I want to talk about is; our office firewall has been diagnosed with port 445 (SMB) Open-Filtered.

I asked the security team which did the pen test and they said; “if the port is filtered, it does mean it is open. Maybe nothing is listening but the port is definitively opened”.

 

This is a serious discovery and it needs a full investigation. My boss and Operations pushed me to dig this out and get it sorted.

 

Action Plan

Review the firewall configuration thoroughly and check any references to port 445.

Disabled all unnecessary rules and checked open ports once again with nmap. Once again, this time I could verify myself, the result was Port 445 Open-Filtered. I could not believe it.

I could not find anywhere in the firewall a rule which explicitly opened, forward, or NATTED port 445.

 

I downloaded a program called Nipper see: https://www.titania-security.com/, exported the configuration from the firewall, parsed the config and I did not find any indication port 445 was actually opened.

 

Block Port 445

I decided to explicitly create a rule to block port 445. Rule in place, once again I used nmap to check for open ports and, once again for my surprise, nmap showed port 445 Open-Filtered.

 

There is no way port 445 was open! I decided to Google and I vaguely remember this, something to do with ISPs filtering port 445.

In 2004 there was an outbreak of a virus which propagated itself through exploiting port 445 (SMB). This is how Microsoft Windows for communicate with each other on a network and access shares.

 

Because of this outbreak Firewall vendors decided it was a good approach to just filter this port, instead of blocking it. This is because by blocking it the firewall has to use more CPU and memory.

 

So finally I got to the bottom and I understand the real result. Port 445 was actually being filtered at a higher level by our ISP, which is good.

 

So if you come across ports being Open-filtered, I would recommend the following:

1.    Review your firewall configuration

2.    Check with your ISP

3.    Get in touch with your Firewall vendor and ask them to clarify it for you

 

Some links for you to research


 


 

By Renato Oliveira

No comments:

Post a Comment