Sunday 7 April 2013

Exchange 2010 Problem Exporting Mailbox


Recently I had a problem with our Exchange 2010 server. I need to export our mailboxes to PST files.
Whenever I ran the cmd command "New-MailboxExportRequest" it thrown an error message:

"There are no available servers running the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication service"

There are many posts talking about similar error, some indicate the service "Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication" service isn't running. That was not my case!

Let me give you an idea of the system:
  • Windows 2008
  • Exchange 2010
  • SP1
  • Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication running and started
So the problem was somethingelse. I started looking at updates and rollups and I came across one post which indicate that one of the pre-sp2 roll ups was causing the problem.

I applied Exchange SP2 and I managed to solve the problem, but Exchange SP2 can also cause you some headaches.

Before you apply Exchange SP2, do your home work and check the potential problems, check also the requirements.

I started with the requirements:
  • Exchange 2010 SP2 makes updates to the Active Directory schema
  • Windows 2008 must be on SP2
  • IIS requires the following modules:
    • IIS 6 WMI Compatibility
    • ASP.NET 
    • ISAPI Filters 
    • Client Certificate Mapping Authentication 
    • Directory Browsing 
    • HTTP Errors 
    • HTTP Logging 
    • HTTP Redirection 
    • Tracing 
    • Request Monitor 
    • Static Content
  • If you use HTTP redirect, it will fail. Be aware, you will need to edit web.config
  • If you have customised OWA web access theme, have a backup ready.

Take a look at the Links below:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh529924(v=exchg.141).aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh529928(v=exchg.141).aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh672189(v=exchg.141).aspx

I hope this will help you; if you have come across this problem, solve it. If you are planning in applying Exchange SP 2, just do some research and be aware of some of pitfalls.

Hope you enjoy it.

by Renato de Oliveira


No comments:

Post a Comment