Friday 15 February 2013

IT projects I have successfully worked and complete

IT projects I have successfully worked and complete...

I started working for the current company one year and six months ago.
I was brought in to be Linux Systems Administrator and help in building two Data Centers, to be used as primary and backup. Things changed, and I became, project manager, IT manager, Systems Administrator and Implementer.

The idea was to bring in house all services which have been hosted by different companies in US.

My first task was to identify what was being hosted and where and try and copy as much as I could parts of the system and try and replicate it.

I successfully identified all the necessary systems and components which composed the system. I interviewed some of the developers and many people to gather information.

I had a very limited time frame to complete the whole project, in fact   I had less than a year to identify all components of the system, understand how they are setup, identify how they are being used, usage, bottle necks and start to plan it.
Here is a list of equipment I had to identify, buy and work with, to build the system from scratch.

  • Firewalls (Juniper SRX) x 2 HA cluster
  • File Server (NetApp 3240) x 2 Cluster
  • Switches (Cisco 3750) x 5 Stack
  • Physical servers (HP DL580s and DL380s) x 20
  • Remote access (Citrix XenApp 6.5) x 12
  • Virtualization  (VMware vSphere 5.0) x 4
  • Linux Redhat 6.2 x 20 between Virtuals and Physicals
  • Windows 2008 R2 x 20 mostly Virtuals
  • Virtual Server backup (Veeam 6)
  • Integrate Linux authentication to Active Directory using LDAP
  • Many different types of VPNs and leased lines to connect to different companies
  • Monitoring system (using Nagios and Cacti)
Once I had identified all equipment and sourced suppliers, I started to think about the Network topology.
The best way to organize the whole system and make sure the security was kept at High levels.

I will be posting about each section of the system and specifying the configuration for each part of the layer, in detail.

Part one (1)

I will be writing next about the Firewall project.


by Renato Oliveira

No comments:

Post a Comment