Thursday 24 January 2013

Cambridge to Liverpool Street - Open eyes

Last week I had a NetApp OnTap 8.1 traiing course in London, Bank.
The first three days I went to Kings Cross, I thought I am going to get the tube, becuase it will be quicker. I had forgotten how London is and how crowded the tube is, became.
I have to say; the train service in England is unblievably expensive and the quality is terrible.
Trains are mostly delayed and packed, but what I am going to talk about is something which I opened my eyes for in the last 2 days of the training.

I decided to go via Liverpool Street to London, from Cambridge. The Liverpool Line is terrible, slower than Kings Cross line and the trains are older at least the ones I was unluck to get.
To start with the 7:17am train was delayed becuase of overhead problem, then I arrived late in London, but for my surprise the walk from Liverpool Street to Bank was very short.

About 4 years ago, I was working in London (Number 1 London Bridge). I used to get the train to Liverpool Street every day. I never paid attention to what I am about to describe.
The way from Cambridge to London is an amazing transformation (I would say suffers a drustic transformation). I guess I never paid attention to what I am about to describe, becuase I was stressed as everyone else, in a train packed, tired and I just wanted to get to work and then back home at the end of the day.

Travelling from Cambridge to Liverpool street we go through many different stations, they are: Shelford, Whittlesford Parkway, Great Chesterford, Audley End, New Port, Elsenham, Stansted Mountfichet, Bishop's Stortford, Sawbridge Worth, Harllow Mill, Harlow Town, Roydon, Broxbourn, Cheshunt, Waltham Cross, Enfield Lock, Brimsdown, Ponders End, Angel Road, Northumberland Park, Tottenham Hale, Clapton, Hackney Downs, London Fields, Cambridge Heath, Bethenal Green and Liverpool Street..
As you can see it is a long journey 1:28 minutes to be precise and that is when the train runs on time.

When you board the train in Cambridge, the environment is still a bit of country side and not so destroyed, up to Elsenham the stations and the surroundings are still a bit looked after (I say a bit becuase it is degrading and no one seems to care). Things start to change, and changes are really visible once we reach Harllo Mill. It is a very sad, depressing place. The station is falling apart, there is a lot of rubbish along side the tracks. The houses and companies along side the train tracks are a mess. you see graphitti, you see loads of dumpped rubbish and car tyres.
The visual and the carrying feels a little bit better when you reach Roydon, but then just after Brouxbourn things start to degrade again.

Part 2 will come soon....





No comments:

Post a Comment