Friday 29 March 2013

UKaying - LivingUK (Part1)


I have been living in UK for many years. It has been a good opportunity for me to develop in many aspects of my life; learn English, develop emotionally, become independent of my family in Brazil, be part of a multi-cultural society and learn about different cultures.

 

When I moved over I was not an open minded person. I was very young, did not have any experience in living in a different country or even outside my own town. It was difficult, but I overcame most difficulties and barriers I encountered along the way and today, I am happier.

 

The first difficult was I could not speak any English at all, I thought my IT technical knowledge would overcome the lack of language. It didn't!

I was strong and I've learnt English quite quickly, I feel I have given myself and I embraced the English culture as well as I could. I live here, I work (always maintained myself employed – this gives me a sense of being adult and responsible for my life), I pay my taxes, and I try to improve my English constantly. I love where I live. Cambridge is a great place!

 

I think to live in a different country, one of the most important things is to integrate with the local society and embrace the culture as much as you can, so you can feel part of it.

I will never be English (I don’t want to be English I am Brazilian, but living in England) if I make an effort to improve my spoken English, accept the English culture, understand how the English society functions, and just accept things are different and I need to adjust to live well.

 

I accept I will never be English, but as I am living here, I have to give my best to be part of English society and in my opinion this includes; speaking the language well (I have a long way to go, but every day I am learning and trying my best to improve it), respect the law, respect what English society stands for and give your best to honour that.

There are moments of conflict between what your learnt from your culture and what you have to deal with.

 

I think there are major differences between Brazil and England, and I don't think England is better nor Brazil is worse, they are simply different.

There are beautiful things in Brazil and beautiful things in England. I love how we can see the four different seasons, where I came from, there were only; the raining season and the sun the rest of the year.

 

Life in Brazil at least where I come from was surrounded by beach, football, religion, carnival... I don't think as a society we think in terms of future, our impact on each other’s life and on the environment. I don't think Brazilians understand the meaning and also impact of electing the wrong politicians (they don’t understand the consequences, it seems to me)…

Will write the continuation at later date.

by Renato





No comments:

Post a Comment